Gluten-Free Vegan Bread Pudding
The Multi-Grain Bread is one our most popular items, and now there's another way to enjoy it!
And if you would like to top this off with a vegan whipped cream, the directions are also included too!
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked in one cup water for 2 to 3 hours*)
7 - 8 slices Multi-Grain Bread ( 2- 3 days old bread is best for this recipe)
2-1/2 cups coconut milk (full-fat)
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons vegan butter, for brushing
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350º F.
2. Cut the bread into small cubes and mix with raisins. Place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Strain the cashews, and place into a blender. Add in coconut milk, coconut oil, spices, vanilla extract, and salt. Blend until very smooth.
4. Pour mixture over bread cubes and stir to coat well. Allow to soak for about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish and press to smooth down with a spatula.
6. Melt the vegan butter and brush over top.
7. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is brown and crispy.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Then dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Vegan Whipped Cream
1 can coconut milk, full fat
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. Place the can of coconut milk in fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
This will allow the creamy part of the coconut milk to rise to the top.
2. When ready, open can and carefully scoop out just the creamy part.
3. Place into bowl of a mixer. Add in sugar and vanilla (if using) and whip until thick.
Serve immediately over bread pudding.